The Last Long Run for '05


Just completed my last two-hour run for the year. It was a little rough, with me more than once regretting that second glass of cabernet at last night's wonderful holiday party.

I've been reading lots of bloggers' annual rundowns on year-end mileage and milestones electronically recorded in logs and journals. I've kept the same record-keeping system since I began road racing in 1992 -- a pocket calendar I either pick up at a Hallmark store or receive in the mail from a charity organization. It ain't sophisticated, but then neither am I. I duly note if I exercised and for how long or how far; I also mention my weekday routes for later comparison. The asterisks represent the onset of "that time of the month" -- a potential PR killer for women like me. I also note trips to help jog my memory and make me feel less guilty about missed opportunities. That's it.

By the time W-2 forms arrive in the mail, I'll have misplaced my 2005 race calendar. By St. Patrick's Day, it'll be declared officially lost. I'd like to think someone secretly holds on to them and will present them much later in my life when I am unable to run strong and long and maybe even remember running at all. That's why I never spend time trying to track them down.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?