Here's What's Going Down in 2006

My weight. I’ve already got a 10-pound head start. But if I’m going to regain any of the running glory of my past, then I’ve got to shed another 15. You will see less of me by mid-year. And you will not see me steer the car into the In-n-Out drive-thru more than once a month.

My master’s PR. Okay, that’s too easy considering how much I’ve slowed since turning 40. But running a sub-4-hour finish, given my current track record, will mean shaving more than 30 minutes off my average time for the last four years. And if I do accomplish this feat, I’ll also qualify for the 2007 Boston Marathon.

My credit card and debit card use. I’m tired of companies knowing so much about me. I’m going to carry more cash and stick to weekly allowances. This likely will be among the hardest of my goals to achieve, given my bank is 20 feet from my front door and I show up almost daily now on the ATM’s hidden camera.

My belongings. We’ve got to downsize at some point, might as well start now by clearing out the garage and decluttering the closet. I also want to make an earnest effort not to replenish either area. This is another goal that’ll be hard to sustain, given the cooperation of fellow family hoarders required to pull it off.

My work hours. I almost worked myself to death this year. A slight exaggeration, yes. But after I was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia last winter, I continued to work -- and the usual 12-hour days -- slowing my recovery and greatly impairing other areas of my life. Running being chief among them. I’m going to become a learned scholar of life hacks and stellar practitioner of productivity management. And, failing that, I’m going to re-rent the outstanding documentary "The Corporation" and re-read "Gifts by the Sea" for reinforcement.

My refuse. Less stuff means less trash. And less contribution to environmental waste. I’ll donate what I can and recycle when I’m able. Then everyone from Mother Earth to the homeless guy wearing my old race T-shirts will benefit.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?