Now, Where Were We...
Did you know yesterday was Bruce Browne Day in San Diego? Yep, our very own mailman was honored at a fete last night for his 18+ years of outstanding service to our little community. He retires Dec. 31. I brought a batch of overcooked brownies and managed to bring home more food than I brought, but not many brownies. They apparently were a hit, which makes me think my neighbors have no taste :-)
Some of the village elders at the gathering expressed concern with my early morning running and warned me to be careful out there. This was underscored by my friend Louise, who last week at lunch mentioned I might be a tad foolhardy. Cathy from across the street reminded me to break up my routine so would-be predators won't know my usual pattern. Good advice, all.
And I decided to follow it and head out this morning, rather than in the evening as is my usual Tuesday routine. I'm not sure if it was the infusion of hot tea or a residual sugar buzz, but I started out strong and just got stronger. I checked my watch and a spot I normally hit in 14 minutes was passed in 12:14. Then I heard footsteps behind me and turned to see a guy approaching, and quickly. It was too dark to see him clearly, but something didn't seem quite right. Knowing a wooded area was ahead, and perfect for kidnapping, killing or merely kicking the crap out of me, I suddenly swerved into a cul de sac as if I lived in a nearby house. He kept going.
The guy was probably harmless, though I did note he was dressed in jeans and not running clothes. Still, I waited another minute till I was sure he'd left, and then I went in the opposite direction I normally do. That shot of adrenaline not only heightened my sensitivy to my surroundings, it helped me run my fastest time yet on that particular loop.
Some of the village elders at the gathering expressed concern with my early morning running and warned me to be careful out there. This was underscored by my friend Louise, who last week at lunch mentioned I might be a tad foolhardy. Cathy from across the street reminded me to break up my routine so would-be predators won't know my usual pattern. Good advice, all.
And I decided to follow it and head out this morning, rather than in the evening as is my usual Tuesday routine. I'm not sure if it was the infusion of hot tea or a residual sugar buzz, but I started out strong and just got stronger. I checked my watch and a spot I normally hit in 14 minutes was passed in 12:14. Then I heard footsteps behind me and turned to see a guy approaching, and quickly. It was too dark to see him clearly, but something didn't seem quite right. Knowing a wooded area was ahead, and perfect for kidnapping, killing or merely kicking the crap out of me, I suddenly swerved into a cul de sac as if I lived in a nearby house. He kept going.
The guy was probably harmless, though I did note he was dressed in jeans and not running clothes. Still, I waited another minute till I was sure he'd left, and then I went in the opposite direction I normally do. That shot of adrenaline not only heightened my sensitivy to my surroundings, it helped me run my fastest time yet on that particular loop.