I Leave You With This


There's this social media post some guy put up on Instagram. I almost scrolled past it, but I'm glad I didn't. It asked what question we should ask ourselves when we die. In retrospect, ChatGPT's response was basically pulling from Eastern philosophy, but, still, I couldn't stop thinking about it in the hours and days since I first heard it.

Here's a partial transcript I cribbed using -- what else? -- AI. Some guy set up the prompt, which was long and convoluted. The following picks it up from there. 


Some guy: I'm assuming most people would ask, 'Where am I going? What's next?' Something like that. Is that a good question? 

ChatGPT: No, because they don't matter.

Some guy: Why don't they matter? 

ChatGPT: If there's a heaven or hell or some next phase, you're likely already heading there. Asking won't change your destination. It's a wasted question. 

Some guy: That's a good point. Um, what about 'Did I do enough?'

ChatGPT: You also shouldn't ask, 'Did I do enough?' Because once this life ends, regardless of beliefs, there's no more doing, no more trying, you're left with the truth you already lived. 

Some guy: Okay, so what do you think is the best question to ask if you only had to ask one? Or you only could ask one?

ChatGPT: You should ask, 'Did I see it?'

Some guy:  Why is that the question? 

ChatGPT: Did I see the sunrise I rushed past? Did I feel the love standing right in front of me? Did I notice the beauty in the days I labeled boring? Did I see any of it? 

Some guy: Why does seeing my life matter more than anything else I could have asked? 

ChatGPT: Once you die, the only thing left is awareness. Not fixing, not changing, just knowing. And the truth you'd want most is whether you were ever awake for the life you spent so much time surviving. That's why that's the question. 


Like so many others, I've been in survival mode for so long that I am no longer familiar with any other state. We're surviving a nation in chaos. We're surviving an affordability crisis, gaping economic inequities, significant slights, and societal cruelties on a scale none of us saw coming. We're surviving widespread use of the products of soul-less tech barons who've manipulated us all. Not to mention the largess being stolen as we all bitch but do nothing. We're surviving family members and friendships lost to diseases of aging or despair, and more than a few derangement syndromes. And, we're finally reckoning with a growing reliance on products we now know are bad for us.

Instead of just surviving, let's pause on the panic and truly see life, appreciate it, experience it fully while we are still alive. See as much importance in witnessing a specific moment of beauty or truth as we do participating in a big event. Stay truly present and observant instead of charging through another day. And may you discover the joy in the little things that actually make up a life. 

Popular posts from this blog

Music to My Ears

Return to Bay 2 Breakers