Watch where you surf these days
It's your trusted computer security reporter here, letting everyone know there's what is known as a zero-day exploit circulating that will automatically download nasty spyware and use your computer to spew out spam (while also looking for you to provide credit card information voluntarily). This one's tricky because there's no "patch" to stop it so it's up to computer users to use common sense to avoid infection.
If you get an e-mail, instant message or a pop-up in the corner of your computer telling you you've been infected with spyware DO NOT OPEN THE LINK. That's how they get you. Also, this one can spread merely by you placing your cursor over an infected image on a malicious Web site (one that's been contaminated), so be careful where you browse, especially if you use Internet Explorer or older versions of Firefox. Also, Outlook or the Opera Web browswer.
Here's what I just filed before I head off to the Halls of Justice downtown to do my civic duty. Keep in mind it's a little more technical because I write for geeks, but you'll get the gist of it.
Windows image flaw now 'extremely critical'
If you get an e-mail, instant message or a pop-up in the corner of your computer telling you you've been infected with spyware DO NOT OPEN THE LINK. That's how they get you. Also, this one can spread merely by you placing your cursor over an infected image on a malicious Web site (one that's been contaminated), so be careful where you browse, especially if you use Internet Explorer or older versions of Firefox. Also, Outlook or the Opera Web browswer.
Here's what I just filed before I head off to the Halls of Justice downtown to do my civic duty. Keep in mind it's a little more technical because I write for geeks, but you'll get the gist of it.
Windows image flaw now 'extremely critical'