Wading Deeper into the Risk Pool
In a comment on my previous post, Tony brought up an interesting point about the impact sanctioned headphone use may have on specific races: raising insurance costs which, in turn, will raise race fees. Personally, I’m already appalled at what some, mostly for-profit organizers now charge for the privilege of running along a closed course with aid support. But I get that demand remains quite high for popular events, and more expensive premiums like technical shirts and any-distance medals increasingly are expected.
Tony’s comment, though, struck at something I’d just learned from the excellent book Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do by Tom Vanderbilt. I had no idea our insurance rates were tied to our credit scores. Did you? It seems auto insurance companies assume those who make poor financial decisions are also more likely to drive dangerously on our roadways. If you live where there are a lot of at-risk drivers, you pay more because of the likelihood of colliding with one of them. In other words, we all pay for the attitudes of a few among us.
When it comes to headphones at USATF-sanctioned races, I tend to think along the lines of Mindy, another blogger who left a comment on the previous post. I too miss the lack of socializing since people my pace started tuning out. But I started running long before the MP3 player was invented, let alone became a common running accoutrement. All the same, I can understand the sudden disorientation at a silent start if you’ve always trained with music. I often run solo on Sunday mornings while listening to music or podcasts; after all these years, it just doesn’t feel normal otherwise.
Chances are, if rates do rise as a result of permitted headphone use, I’ll just drop a few dream-sheet races because their registration fees now cross my thrift threshold. Somehow, I don’t think anyone will notice my absence.
Tony’s comment, though, struck at something I’d just learned from the excellent book Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do by Tom Vanderbilt. I had no idea our insurance rates were tied to our credit scores. Did you? It seems auto insurance companies assume those who make poor financial decisions are also more likely to drive dangerously on our roadways. If you live where there are a lot of at-risk drivers, you pay more because of the likelihood of colliding with one of them. In other words, we all pay for the attitudes of a few among us.
When it comes to headphones at USATF-sanctioned races, I tend to think along the lines of Mindy, another blogger who left a comment on the previous post. I too miss the lack of socializing since people my pace started tuning out. But I started running long before the MP3 player was invented, let alone became a common running accoutrement. All the same, I can understand the sudden disorientation at a silent start if you’ve always trained with music. I often run solo on Sunday mornings while listening to music or podcasts; after all these years, it just doesn’t feel normal otherwise.
Chances are, if rates do rise as a result of permitted headphone use, I’ll just drop a few dream-sheet races because their registration fees now cross my thrift threshold. Somehow, I don’t think anyone will notice my absence.