Product Review: ProWash Active Detergent
My theme for the year is Preservation. I plan to better tend to everything I hold near and dear, and that includes my mind and body, my relationships and all my “stuff” to which I’m economically or emotionally attachment. Race and running gear included.
“Technical clothing” made of synthetic material is great at wicking away moisture to keep us cool or warm. But it’s often at the cost of soaking in odors and stubborn stains. It’s embarrassing to show up at summer races already reeking, and I have. It also kills me to toss great-fitting shirts, shorts, tights, or socks because they now resemble spotty rags.
That’s why I was thrilled to be among a group of running bloggers to test the activewear detergent called ProWash. As many others have noted, the packaging is eco-friendly and the liquid’s consistency unusually light. But don’t let that fool you: like the other reviewers have noted, this product packs some punch. I’ve done four loads of laundry with it thus far and it’s surpassed expectations. In one, I loaded up everyone’s gym clothes a day after workouts, plenty of time for sweat to seep deep into the fabric. Every article came out smelling fresh (not overtly floral) and clean. Another time, the load included my favorite Nike Dri-Fit socks, bloodied and muddied from a trail run, and they came out looking close to brand new. Stains completely erased!
I did one load with other items, but there was no noticeable difference in the natural-fibered clothing, so I don’t think I’d waste this detergent on cotton T-shirts and underwear. For one thing, it’s expensive (just under $10 online for 24 ounces or loads at drugstore.com; maybe a bit more or less at discount retailer Wal-Mart). But I’m sticking with ProWash because my activewear is also expensive -- and well worth preserving.
“Technical clothing” made of synthetic material is great at wicking away moisture to keep us cool or warm. But it’s often at the cost of soaking in odors and stubborn stains. It’s embarrassing to show up at summer races already reeking, and I have. It also kills me to toss great-fitting shirts, shorts, tights, or socks because they now resemble spotty rags.
That’s why I was thrilled to be among a group of running bloggers to test the activewear detergent called ProWash. As many others have noted, the packaging is eco-friendly and the liquid’s consistency unusually light. But don’t let that fool you: like the other reviewers have noted, this product packs some punch. I’ve done four loads of laundry with it thus far and it’s surpassed expectations. In one, I loaded up everyone’s gym clothes a day after workouts, plenty of time for sweat to seep deep into the fabric. Every article came out smelling fresh (not overtly floral) and clean. Another time, the load included my favorite Nike Dri-Fit socks, bloodied and muddied from a trail run, and they came out looking close to brand new. Stains completely erased! I did one load with other items, but there was no noticeable difference in the natural-fibered clothing, so I don’t think I’d waste this detergent on cotton T-shirts and underwear. For one thing, it’s expensive (just under $10 online for 24 ounces or loads at drugstore.com; maybe a bit more or less at discount retailer Wal-Mart). But I’m sticking with ProWash because my activewear is also expensive -- and well worth preserving.