Yoga for Runners

Last night was tight.

I had my first ever yoga class, and it was one designed exclusively for runners. It rocked…but thankfully I didn’t. I held my poses and stretched my tight hamstrings, quads and calves way past their normal comfort zone for a full hour in a quiet room within the Miramar Sports Complex. The instructor issued asanas as she took the 11 of us (tilted just slightly toward the female faction) through a series of breathing exercises and then traditional poses, such as Mountain, Warrior and Eagle. The pace was just right, and she reminded us that not everyone arrives at a pose at the same time and that we were to take our time and move out of one when we felt ready. I was usually first to finish.

Yoga would seem to be at the opposite end of exercise for someone who brutalizes her body running rapidly along pavement, track or trail for “fun.” But, I discovered, yoga compliments running by mandating these athletes carefully stretch muscles that tend to become rigid from too much sport specificity. Yoga helps improve flexibility, restore muscular balance and even handle the daily stresses a little better. It also makes us more aware of how our bodies work and what we can do to improve their form and function.

The hour-long class filled quickly with people of all ages, from 20somethings to retirees. The instructor was excellent as she moved through each exercise, explaining how they connected to our running, from how we regulate our breathing during a tempo run to a great cool down pose to remove “old blood” from the legs. She also threw in some Chi Running techniques. In Pilates, when I’m struggling, I focus on the soft music piped into the room. Here, there was none. All you heard was intentional heavy breathing and the faint sounds of a basketball game being played down the hallway.

This evening, we focused on loosening the hamstrings; next Monday it’s the hip flexors. The look of encouragement on a few faces told me I’m not the only one in the room anxious to alleviate some of the stress in that area of the body. Meantime, I’ve got another yoga class with another instructor on Wednesday. This class will focus on improving runners’ strength and stamina. Tyte.

Popular posts from this blog

Music to My Ears

I Leave You With This

Return to Bay 2 Breakers