Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda
Amazing how the constant parade of devastating images from Hurricane Katrina can impact people like me, so far removed from the disaster. I'm overcome with this exercise inertia, finding the task too indulgent at a time when there are all these people fighting for their life. That worries me.
Having grown up in hurricane-prone areas, I've never gotten why we build up coastal communities like we do. New Orleans in particular always perplexed me, ever since discovering the entire city was essentially one man's mistake. Now survivors will become temporary Texans and twang-talkin' politicians will go on Fox News and demand the submerged cities be rebuilt. That angers me.
Initially, I couldn't understand why people stayed behind in their substandard housing, knowing this storm was catastrophic. Then I learned that many that perished or had to be saved were so poor they didn't have the motorized means to escape. That saddens me.
Having grown up in hurricane-prone areas, I've never gotten why we build up coastal communities like we do. New Orleans in particular always perplexed me, ever since discovering the entire city was essentially one man's mistake. Now survivors will become temporary Texans and twang-talkin' politicians will go on Fox News and demand the submerged cities be rebuilt. That angers me.
Initially, I couldn't understand why people stayed behind in their substandard housing, knowing this storm was catastrophic. Then I learned that many that perished or had to be saved were so poor they didn't have the motorized means to escape. That saddens me.