Lazy, hazy days of summer
Had things gone according to plan, we'd be comparing college campuses in Berkeley, San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara on Alex's behalf right now as we took our time driving from Napa along the 101 as part of a week's vacation. Instead I'm sitting in front of the computer at my home office, at work, trying not to move much. I resumed Pilates this weekend after an 8-month hiatus and have a serious case of delayed muscle soreness syndrome in my chest. It was that second minute-long plank exercise that did it. I just know it.
How'd I get this out of shape this quickly? And, more immediately, will I heal enough to do the Yoga for Runners I just signed up for? It begins in (gulp) 8 hours.
Meantime, I'm trying to figure out just how far I ran yesterday. On Friday, I fiddled with that really cool Gmaps program someone in Hoboken, N.J., created to gauge distances. I mapped out two courses in my suburb, both 12 miles. However, as slow as I may be, there ain't no way it took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to run 12 miles yesterday. (And I stopped the watch at each water/bathroom break.) Granted, it was foggy when I hit a trail leading to Miramar Lake and went the wrong way. But that quarter-mile mistake doesn't account of 20 minutes. Time to take a deep breath (the pain! the pain!) and do an accuracy check.
How'd I get this out of shape this quickly? And, more immediately, will I heal enough to do the Yoga for Runners I just signed up for? It begins in (gulp) 8 hours.
Meantime, I'm trying to figure out just how far I ran yesterday. On Friday, I fiddled with that really cool Gmaps program someone in Hoboken, N.J., created to gauge distances. I mapped out two courses in my suburb, both 12 miles. However, as slow as I may be, there ain't no way it took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to run 12 miles yesterday. (And I stopped the watch at each water/bathroom break.) Granted, it was foggy when I hit a trail leading to Miramar Lake and went the wrong way. But that quarter-mile mistake doesn't account of 20 minutes. Time to take a deep breath (the pain! the pain!) and do an accuracy check.