Ratting Me Out

I’m in love with the gym again, and this time it’s different. I’m not shopping for cute outfits at The Sports Authority, hoping the hot looking Lycra fools folks into believing I can’t be the woman who fell on her face during step aerobics or broke wind in the middle of yoga.

No, now I dress like everyone else at my gym – strictly for comfort. Here, only effort counts. So now I count on warming up on the rowing machine, especially if someone’s next to me that I can try to “out row.” Then it’s on to the stationary bike, where I try not to be discouraged that peddling steadily around 100 RPMs on Level 6 only burned 200 freakin’ calories. Lately, the cardio’s been followed with a few core exercises done by everyone in the family. The Nautilus machines are next. Now that I’m weaning myself from the crutches, my biceps and triceps need more attention. I’m working up to one of those spin classes, too, though at the moment just looking into the room intimidates me.

Of course, I really look forward to trying out the treadmill -- the same machine that I’ve actively avoided since moving to San Diego. I’m sure the sweat will quickly accumulate while I repeatedly inhale stale, musty air and try not to glance at the console or the battle-ready soldier working out next to me. [We belong to a gym on a military base.] I’ll probably instantly obsess about needing to use the bathroom. Followed, no doubt, by fantasies of an ice-cold water bottle about 15 minutes into it. Gee, I already feel a cramp coming on.

Yeah, I can’t wait for that kind of discomfort. Especially if it burns more than 200 freakin’ calories.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?