How to Boil Water
I'd just finished reading in the Sunday newspaper that the mayor was asking everyone just north of my ZIP code to boil tap water or buy it bottled when Tara, my old training partner, called to see if "my" Starbucks was opened. "Hers," less than two miles away, was not. Everything, she told me, was closed.
Our little shopping village was indeed packed, with the line for mocha choca lattes snaking out the door. Later, when we returned some movies at the local Blockbuster, I saw for myself that every restaurant -- from McDonald's to Chili's to the tony Mesquite Grille -- was closed just up the freeway from us. This outage extended into Escondido, impacting hundreds of thousands of people -- many of whom, I assure you, eat out on Sundays. They dine out every other day of the week too. Nobody cooks in this town, which must be why raw foods are all the rage. It seems e. coli and another coliform, indicating fecal matter's in the water system, were discovered at a residential site quite close to here over the weekend.
Far as I know, our little neighborhood has been spared. That hasn't stopped me, however, from considering ways to leverage this health scare tomorrow at work. I've got too much crap on my plate as it is.
Our little shopping village was indeed packed, with the line for mocha choca lattes snaking out the door. Later, when we returned some movies at the local Blockbuster, I saw for myself that every restaurant -- from McDonald's to Chili's to the tony Mesquite Grille -- was closed just up the freeway from us. This outage extended into Escondido, impacting hundreds of thousands of people -- many of whom, I assure you, eat out on Sundays. They dine out every other day of the week too. Nobody cooks in this town, which must be why raw foods are all the rage. It seems e. coli and another coliform, indicating fecal matter's in the water system, were discovered at a residential site quite close to here over the weekend.
Far as I know, our little neighborhood has been spared. That hasn't stopped me, however, from considering ways to leverage this health scare tomorrow at work. I've got too much crap on my plate as it is.