Race Review: 2010 Scripps Ranch 10k


It is not a coincidence that I selected the annual Scripps Ranch 10k for my return to racing. I have a history with this event and its course, which I ran almost daily for years when I lived in the neighborhood. So today was a homecoming in more ways than one.

And I could not have picked a more perfect race.

For starters, my official finish was 57:16, or a 9:15 average pace (35th out of 95 in my age group). That happens to be right around the finish time of my last road race – in December 2008. However, despite our shoe D tags, I knew this one was done by gun time and clocked myself finishing at 56:52. So I'm truly picking up where I left off before tearing my achilles tendon.

When I look back, I had everything going for me, except for “female issues” and one incident that I’ll save for the next post.

The weather was perfect – low to mid-60s and overcast the entire way, with a slight headwind to keep from ever getting too warm or feeling the need to hydrate on the run.

The course is fast, with a small uphill near the start and a few inclines but nothing serious. It also includes a downhill finish that has you flying to the mat.

I was healthy. No injuries and no illnesses. I was carrying extra weight due to the aforementioned female issue, but at least the cramps cooperated this morning.

I was well hydrated and took in the right amount of calories (250) 90 minutes before the race started. I voided at the right time too so I ran with a clear bladder.

I warmed up properly, running a little and stretching a little about 10-20 minutes before the start.

I was never alone. Soon as I arrived I saw my friend Kate and we stuck together through the start, which proved slower than expected because of self-seeding. Hey, we too were trying to get as close to the start line as we could since there was no chip mat and we didn’t want to be penalized too much in a field of 2,000+ runners.

I ran negative splits as planned. It can be hard to ration your miles, especially mentally, but I managed to do each mile faster than the last except for mile 4, when I intentionally slowed to stop gagging.

The Scripps Ranch Old Pros, who have put this one on for the past 33 years, did a terrific job as always. Afterwards, I met up with friends to watch the annual holiday parade just a couple of houses down from where I once lived. My friends Lee and Maxine joined me, as did a mimosa that soaked my new race shirt. Then we went to Petco Park to watch the Padres beat the Astros 3-2 in the final inning and from the vantage point of some very fine field view seats. Thank you so much, Todd and Christine, for providing us with a fantastic afternoon to match my exceptional morning.







Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

Music to My Ears

Return to Bay 2 Breakers