Product Review: OrthoLite Performance Insoles

A few weeks ago I received a pair of OrthoLite inserts to test and was excited at possibly finding another shoe insole to help extend the life of my legs and running shoes.
OrthoLite manufacturers say their insoles retain 95% of their cushioning after the first year, something they also claim no other open cell foam insole can do. I wasn’t about to wait a year, but if that’s indeed true, then it’s great news to those with a limited budget and shoe lifespan.
The inserts also use an environmentally-friendly anti-microbial to fend off fungi and malodor and a structure for ventilation that helps keep the foot dry. This last part was what impressed me most since it was one of the few areas I could truly test.
You see as soon as I trimmed my inserts to fit my Nikes and tried them on, I didn’t feel any difference. Then I looked at the original insert and saw they were indeed by OrthoLite. It made sense – more than 100 million OrthoLite inserts are used in many popular athletic shoes (Nike, Asics, New Balance and Merrell). This is a good sign that it’s a sound, vetted product with a solid reputation (and excellent business relationships!), and in case your running shoe isn't one of them, you now can purchase their insoles for just under $20 retail.
But this situation created a quandary for me. Since I wouldn’t experience any appreciable difference (my Nikes had only 100 miles on them), I wasn’t sure how best to test them. I thought of instead having a giveaway, but I’d already cut them to my exact shoe size.
So I slipped them into an older pair of running shoes I use for cross-training at the gym and found them to indeed be moisture wicking and to keep my feet dry and presumably fungal free. I also love that they are made with recycled tire content since I’m trying to be a lot more green this year. Even better, OrthoLite has partnered with the Level Field Fund and will give $1 from every purchase to help “uniquely talented athletes.” These are folks who lack the financial resources to compete on the same scale as others with more means.
I’d buy a pair just to support such a good cause, but it’s nice that wearing them also means my feet won’t stink.
OrthoLite manufacturers say their insoles retain 95% of their cushioning after the first year, something they also claim no other open cell foam insole can do. I wasn’t about to wait a year, but if that’s indeed true, then it’s great news to those with a limited budget and shoe lifespan.
The inserts also use an environmentally-friendly anti-microbial to fend off fungi and malodor and a structure for ventilation that helps keep the foot dry. This last part was what impressed me most since it was one of the few areas I could truly test.
You see as soon as I trimmed my inserts to fit my Nikes and tried them on, I didn’t feel any difference. Then I looked at the original insert and saw they were indeed by OrthoLite. It made sense – more than 100 million OrthoLite inserts are used in many popular athletic shoes (Nike, Asics, New Balance and Merrell). This is a good sign that it’s a sound, vetted product with a solid reputation (and excellent business relationships!), and in case your running shoe isn't one of them, you now can purchase their insoles for just under $20 retail.
But this situation created a quandary for me. Since I wouldn’t experience any appreciable difference (my Nikes had only 100 miles on them), I wasn’t sure how best to test them. I thought of instead having a giveaway, but I’d already cut them to my exact shoe size.
So I slipped them into an older pair of running shoes I use for cross-training at the gym and found them to indeed be moisture wicking and to keep my feet dry and presumably fungal free. I also love that they are made with recycled tire content since I’m trying to be a lot more green this year. Even better, OrthoLite has partnered with the Level Field Fund and will give $1 from every purchase to help “uniquely talented athletes.” These are folks who lack the financial resources to compete on the same scale as others with more means.
I’d buy a pair just to support such a good cause, but it’s nice that wearing them also means my feet won’t stink.