Back in the Saddle

One great thing about doing your long run on a Saturday is having more options for your early Sunday mornings. I decided it was high time to get back on my bike, partly inspired by my friend Jeanette's first half Ironman celebration and partly instigated by an upcoming sip 'n' cycle tour in September.


Before I even get to a very well traveled bikepath along the freeway, I have to motivate my muscles to get up a big hill just to get to the bikepath. (This photo is at the midpoint.)

The reward once I reach the top is a nice downhill start on the 56 bikepath that always makes my eyes water and my windbreaker flap. I did not stop to take photos on the real decline, which you can't see from this angle; trust me, it's a decent drop.

I originally intended to go 20 miles up and back, but I forgot to bring my water bottle and forgot to drink any water before leaving. I was already thirsty and decided to instead pull off the bikepath onto Rancho Santa Fe Farms Road and weigh my options. As I came to a stoplight, I noted my windbreaker was stuck to my sweaty self and decided the prudent thing would be to turn right and coast down and then up Carmel Valley Road, where every development on the left includes gated, security-guarded communities and on the right more reasonable real estate like this house below, which probably lists now for only $1.5 million.

Most of the motor traffic at that hour involved horse trailers since this is horse country and high season for the Del Mar Racetrack. It was still cloudy and only in the 60s. I started to wonder what it will be like when we ride through Santa Ynez wine country in mid-September, under a full sun and far higher temps.

Before I knew it I saw my own suburb emerge on my left, bordered by a preserved part of Black Mountain to the east. I came to a big intersection and had to decide which big hill to climb to get back home.

I opted to stay on Carmel Valley, which was more scenic with pops of fushia bougainvillia along this carefully cultivated corridor. From there I hung a right onto Black Mountain Road and made my bumpy way back home, 12.25 miles from where I started. Can't wait for next week's ride.

Popular posts from this blog

How 'Bout Them Hokies?!

I Leave You With This

A Local’s Guide to San Diego’s Sunset Cliffs