What's a 'Lone Wolf' Runner To Do?
I was working out in the gym yesterday when I saw the story about the Alaskan runner who was believed to be killed by a pack of wolves -- a rare attack. The article makes a point of her running alone and while listening to music (instead of her wild surroundings, I presume).
LA Times: Wolves kill teacher in Alaska
Here locally we've been told for a couple of weeks now to not run alone, especially if you're a woman. This was prompted by the attack on one college student and murder of a high school runner on trails surrounded by suburban homes. A couple of days after Chelsea King's body was found, there was a news report of a woman attacked in Chula Vista while jogging in a park in the evening. The commenters were none to kind toward her, saying the victim was incredibly stupid to run alone and in the dark after what was known to have just happened elsewhere in the county.
I planned to celebrate my first Sunday morning home in six weeks with a short run followed by a long walk (or vice versa). Like most early morning runners, I run alone and, quite honestly, prefer it. I'm fine with waiting until it's light again (due to the time change tonight), with its increased traffic and reduced risk. There's also a big trail race taking place nearby, which will mean a lot more runners than usual. Still, it's going to be hard to enjoy the solitude with all that's happened here in recent weeks.
LA Times: Wolves kill teacher in Alaska
Here locally we've been told for a couple of weeks now to not run alone, especially if you're a woman. This was prompted by the attack on one college student and murder of a high school runner on trails surrounded by suburban homes. A couple of days after Chelsea King's body was found, there was a news report of a woman attacked in Chula Vista while jogging in a park in the evening. The commenters were none to kind toward her, saying the victim was incredibly stupid to run alone and in the dark after what was known to have just happened elsewhere in the county.
I planned to celebrate my first Sunday morning home in six weeks with a short run followed by a long walk (or vice versa). Like most early morning runners, I run alone and, quite honestly, prefer it. I'm fine with waiting until it's light again (due to the time change tonight), with its increased traffic and reduced risk. There's also a big trail race taking place nearby, which will mean a lot more runners than usual. Still, it's going to be hard to enjoy the solitude with all that's happened here in recent weeks.