Weekday Warrior
I went back to school this year to learn new software skills to stay competitive in today’s anemic economy. About 80 percent of the students are professionals who lost their jobs; the other 20 percent fear the same fate.
The classes take place at a satellite campus in Serra Mesa on Saturdays and Sundays. We have to arrive between 7 and 7:30 a.m. to get in line for a good seat in the Mac Lab. Some weeks, I am in class all day Saturday; others, it’s Sunday. Beginning after spring break next week, it’ll be both Saturdays and Sundays through May.
I don’t know about the other 20-percenters who have day jobs, but I’m beginning to tire of weekends devoted to a life of the mind. I love it while I’m learning, but come Sunday evening I realize how little time I spent outside a cold classroom.
This semester’s schedule also has created an exercise inversion. I basically now bulk all of my running, rowing, and gym time into Monday thru Friday. The key for me is to prepare well the night before.
I pack my gym bag (w/ a checklist taped to the inside of the bag so I don’t forget critical pieces, like a bra or bath towel).
I lay out my gym/running clothes.
I prepare my work bag w/ a quick breakfast and mid-day snack.
I go to bed around the same time each evening, even on weekends.
I have my first-of-the-morning cup of tea while holding myself to a promise to check only email and the weather on my laptop before heading out.
I give myself one possible rest day in case I have an unusually rough night of sleep.
This is how many early morning runners manage their time on tight schedules. If I stick to this system, I usually have time to spare and arrive at work feeling energized and already accomplished, which is a great way to start a weekday. When I start to waver in my resolve, I remember that feeling. About 80 percent of the time, it works.
The classes take place at a satellite campus in Serra Mesa on Saturdays and Sundays. We have to arrive between 7 and 7:30 a.m. to get in line for a good seat in the Mac Lab. Some weeks, I am in class all day Saturday; others, it’s Sunday. Beginning after spring break next week, it’ll be both Saturdays and Sundays through May.
I don’t know about the other 20-percenters who have day jobs, but I’m beginning to tire of weekends devoted to a life of the mind. I love it while I’m learning, but come Sunday evening I realize how little time I spent outside a cold classroom.
This semester’s schedule also has created an exercise inversion. I basically now bulk all of my running, rowing, and gym time into Monday thru Friday. The key for me is to prepare well the night before.
This is how many early morning runners manage their time on tight schedules. If I stick to this system, I usually have time to spare and arrive at work feeling energized and already accomplished, which is a great way to start a weekday. When I start to waver in my resolve, I remember that feeling. About 80 percent of the time, it works.