Biting My Tongue

Were I to grade myself on my Lenten prohibition on gossip, my midterm report card would bear a C-. And only because I’m in a generous mood.

At least I’m discovering more about myself while learning less about others.

I’ve been working through this workbook that Mindy recommended when I complained about my weight. It’s certainly helping me understand why I eat when I do and what I do. Hormones and heredity also are huge factors, but my mother and motherhood are getting a free pass this time around.

Yesterday I watched the documentary King Corn. I’d read (and loved!) the book that served as its inspiration, The Omnivore’s Dilemma. For those unfamiliar with either, changes in U.S. agricultural policy 40 years ago encouraged farmers to grow more food, particularly low-cost, high-yield corn that then brought down food prices in general. This not only allowed Americans to buy more food on the cheap, but it also created great corn surpluses. Some of the excess began to be converted into an energy-dense (read: high-calorie) additive we know as high fructose corn syrup that now appears in just about every processed food product.

Our access to more, inexpensive, processed foods has led us to gain a lot of weight as a nation. This much you already know, I’m sure. But a Harvard professor on the film said something that struck a chord. He mentioned how when we drink our calories, such as with sodas, that feeling of fullness doesn’t kick in the way it does with “real food.” Therefore, we continually drink real or artificially sweetened beverages throughout the day and discount their dietary contributions. So if, like me, you have reduced your food intake but aren’t seeing much difference, it may be those so-called “diet sodas” or coffees or teas preventing you from whittling down your waistline. Or, like me, you could be currently holding too much in.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?