Where Does Our Race Money Go?
I just returned from a long run and planned to make good on my promise to respond to Taryn's meme, but then I opened the newspaper and found something far more worthy to discuss than 25 random facts about me.
Seems a reporter did a little digging into the organization behind the wildly successful Rock 'n' Roll franchise, Elite Racing. The investigation raised issues about where all that money goes, particularly charitable contributions. In fairness, Elite is for-profit; it's in business to make money. The article also mentions the New York Road Runners, which I believe isn't for profit and took home a handsome $6 million extra after last year's NYC Marathon.
There was an interesting thread on Daily Mile a few weeks back when someone questioned the $125 fee for this year's Chicago Marathon. I'd be curious to hear what everyone thinks of the Union-Tribune article, the rising costs of big-city road races and if you have a personal threshold for registration fees to run a popular race.
Here's the article: San Diego Marathon Runs Into Controversy
Seems a reporter did a little digging into the organization behind the wildly successful Rock 'n' Roll franchise, Elite Racing. The investigation raised issues about where all that money goes, particularly charitable contributions. In fairness, Elite is for-profit; it's in business to make money. The article also mentions the New York Road Runners, which I believe isn't for profit and took home a handsome $6 million extra after last year's NYC Marathon.
There was an interesting thread on Daily Mile a few weeks back when someone questioned the $125 fee for this year's Chicago Marathon. I'd be curious to hear what everyone thinks of the Union-Tribune article, the rising costs of big-city road races and if you have a personal threshold for registration fees to run a popular race.
Here's the article: San Diego Marathon Runs Into Controversy