The Houses That Intuit Built
Does this happen to you? You’re not in the best mood when you decide to try out a new route – a route that looked a lot less hilly on the computer screen and yet was so thoroughly soul-soothing that you returned home a different person than when you left.
I had such a run early Saturday morning when I headed down the 56 freeway bike path and veered off course to run through a relatively new subdivision built up around the Intuit campus – apropos since this is tax season and this is where they work on Turbo Tax software. Behind the lone facility is a neighborhood of big beige and brown stucco homes, each impeccably landscaped and some located behind gates. There are three traffic lights along the main drag, which seemed to me to be two too many. But I think the developers had high hopes for more homes and more traffic and certainly more high-tech campuses based on all the giant For Sale signs and slapdash construction barriers that now stand as a testament to the Big Bust.
I loved looking at all the expensive homes as I mentally mapped out my day. I loved running along the lush, forest green edges of Los Penasquitos Canyon as more ominous storm clouds moved in. I loved it so much that I went back on Sunday and discovered a coyote lying peacefully still just inches from me, his eyes shut and heart stopped. Then I went again this morning, in the rain, and privately wondered how my worries compared to these homeowners carrying huge mortgages.
I think some of the dog walkers believe I’m their new neighbor. I also think my quads and hips are going to kill me if I try for a fourth trip tomorrow.
I had such a run early Saturday morning when I headed down the 56 freeway bike path and veered off course to run through a relatively new subdivision built up around the Intuit campus – apropos since this is tax season and this is where they work on Turbo Tax software. Behind the lone facility is a neighborhood of big beige and brown stucco homes, each impeccably landscaped and some located behind gates. There are three traffic lights along the main drag, which seemed to me to be two too many. But I think the developers had high hopes for more homes and more traffic and certainly more high-tech campuses based on all the giant For Sale signs and slapdash construction barriers that now stand as a testament to the Big Bust.
I loved looking at all the expensive homes as I mentally mapped out my day. I loved running along the lush, forest green edges of Los Penasquitos Canyon as more ominous storm clouds moved in. I loved it so much that I went back on Sunday and discovered a coyote lying peacefully still just inches from me, his eyes shut and heart stopped. Then I went again this morning, in the rain, and privately wondered how my worries compared to these homeowners carrying huge mortgages.
I think some of the dog walkers believe I’m their new neighbor. I also think my quads and hips are going to kill me if I try for a fourth trip tomorrow.