Oh, How Sweet It Is (Not)

It's been almost a full week since I was leveled by the news that my daily Diet Coke may be making me fat. That and the "lite" strawberry apple sauce and nearly every low-calorie item I ingest.

A new study in rats suggest my beloved Splenda and other artificial sweetners may actually be contributing to the obesity epidemic. In fifth-grade language, our brain releases a message to our digestive system whenever it senses (through taste, mainly) that a high-calorie item is coming down the hatch. This is because dense-calorie items need extra energy to be broken down. When you substitute fake sugar for the real thing, the sensors initially react similarly, but over time become accustomed to being fooled and shut off those digestive agents. So you don't feel as full after consuming it or anything you eat with it. Therefore, you eat more to feel full.

Here's more: Metabolic syndrome II: Sweetness and Light (The Economist)

While we're on the subject of sweet, I hope everyone had a nice Valentine's Day. We in San Diego got a special 'treat' -- an unexpected, extended storm with thunder, lightning, heavy winds, hail and rain and, in many parts, snow! My Valentine also gave me a brand-new Nikon Coolpix P50 digital camera to replace the one that died on me over the holidays. Wordless Wednesdays should return soon...as well as my good mood!

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?