'Triathlons are the New Marathons'

Just caught up with the news and came across this piece in the L.A. Times on the growing popularity of triathlons.
Beyond the marathon
There's a lot of advice in the section, from whether you need a coach to the basic nutrition guidelines that apply to most recreational athletes. This was my favorite piece of advice:
"Someone once told me that a good day at Ironman is when you have two minor catastrophes," says triathlete Hillary Biscay. "The sport is really about the woes of the day, physical or mental, and it's how you deal with them that separates the best people in the sport. If you have to spend a few minutes at the side of the road, you can still make something of the day. I believe that if I keep running to the finish line and cross it, regardless of what my time is, I've done the best with what I had on that day. That's a victory."
[Photo courtesy of the Associated Press]