Is It Possible to Be SAD in San Diego?

Seasonal Affective Disorder is supposed to plague sunshine-deprived people who endure long winters, not here where the sun routinely works overtime to keep things clear and crisp. Yet as we emerge from the wet season, and I can now enjoy sunrise runs and energized evenings, I feel a little something stirring inside me: contentment.

Until this week, I may have underestimated how down I’d been despite a job I love, a husband I adore and two grown children who continually do me proud. It is not, unfortunately, that way in the family I was born into, and as the oldest child I’m often saddled with situations well beyond the normal realm of dysfunction. For months now, when I could muster the energy to head out into the dark, I fantasized between footfalls about ways to put my former boss out of business or keep someone I love dearly out of jail. I’ll also have a new nephew this summer, if my troubled sister’s life-threatening illness doesn’t claim both her and the baby first.

Nothing has changed to suddenly lift my spirits, except the growing daylight and rising temperatures. And maybe again being armed with a digital camera so I can share scenes like this week's featured photo from atop Iron Mountain in Poway. So to those of you in colder climes still feeling imprisoned by your weather and your private world, do not fear the future. The sun soon will shine down on you too.

Popular posts from this blog

Music to My Ears

I Leave You With This

Return to Bay 2 Breakers