How to Stay Cultured When You're Broke
Usher.
I filled in for a friend this weekend and got to watch a terrific play about racism in the 1930s through 1960s as told through the story of Joe Louis. It's a tough scene to break into, given the turnover for ushers is low. I can see why: you help prior, watch at your liesure (usually from terrific house seats) and clean up leftover programs afterward. Then you're done.
It works for concerts too at more refined venues. So long as no one says anything about me walking into the men's room by accident (and bringing fellow females with me), and handing members of the cast programs in the lobby (hey, how was I to know?!), and closing a side door too soon and annoying some longtime patrons, and forgetting to relieve other ushers during intermission, I should be good to go.
I filled in for a friend this weekend and got to watch a terrific play about racism in the 1930s through 1960s as told through the story of Joe Louis. It's a tough scene to break into, given the turnover for ushers is low. I can see why: you help prior, watch at your liesure (usually from terrific house seats) and clean up leftover programs afterward. Then you're done.
It works for concerts too at more refined venues. So long as no one says anything about me walking into the men's room by accident (and bringing fellow females with me), and handing members of the cast programs in the lobby (hey, how was I to know?!), and closing a side door too soon and annoying some longtime patrons, and forgetting to relieve other ushers during intermission, I should be good to go.