Treadmill Tales
It took two bum-busting falls on black ice and a near collision with a skidding car for me to break down and buy a treadmill during our first winter in Cape Cod. It cost about a grand on sale at Sears, and it ended up being used more than I expected in our tricked-out basement.
I used it to run at 4 a.m. weekday mornings because it was the only time I had between my crazy Boston commute, only it was so loud it woke everyone sleeping three stories above. During Sunday long runs in January, February and March, it kept me out there when no one else was. I’d tell myself, “I’ll run half outdoors and then finish with the rest on the treadmill.” Then I’d hit the midpoint, with my sweaty hair iced to my face and my Camelback frozen solid, and remember how much I dreaded that machine. I would tell myself I could do another 30 minutes outdoors and then finish inside. And I’d keep at it, until, of course, I’d done the entire run in the bitter cold.
When movers were hauling that treadmill out of the truck in San Diego, one of the men said to me, “You won’t need this here.”
He was right. I never used it. So, now that treadmill is suffocating in my sister’s storage unit in Los Angeles because she’s not using it either.
I thought of that treadmill when I received an email from Ana, who recently launched a Web site devoted to treadmills called RunReviews.com. It's a little different from other running sites in that it only focuses on treadmill running.
I asked Ana, who lives in Romania, what she found so appealing about an exercise machine we affectionately refer to as the “dreadmill.” Here’s her response:
We just got new treadmills at my gym, and I hope to eventually match up my experience with some of those machines mentioned on the site. You might wish to do the same, especially if you live where harsh winters make a treadmill look mighty attractive and motivation starts to wane.
I used it to run at 4 a.m. weekday mornings because it was the only time I had between my crazy Boston commute, only it was so loud it woke everyone sleeping three stories above. During Sunday long runs in January, February and March, it kept me out there when no one else was. I’d tell myself, “I’ll run half outdoors and then finish with the rest on the treadmill.” Then I’d hit the midpoint, with my sweaty hair iced to my face and my Camelback frozen solid, and remember how much I dreaded that machine. I would tell myself I could do another 30 minutes outdoors and then finish inside. And I’d keep at it, until, of course, I’d done the entire run in the bitter cold.
When movers were hauling that treadmill out of the truck in San Diego, one of the men said to me, “You won’t need this here.”
He was right. I never used it. So, now that treadmill is suffocating in my sister’s storage unit in Los Angeles because she’s not using it either.
I thought of that treadmill when I received an email from Ana, who recently launched a Web site devoted to treadmills called RunReviews.com. It's a little different from other running sites in that it only focuses on treadmill running.
I asked Ana, who lives in Romania, what she found so appealing about an exercise machine we affectionately refer to as the “dreadmill.” Here’s her response:
“I love running. I do trail running, but too little (only in summers and when I go to the mountains). In warm weather I run outside in the park. It's very pleasant to run outside and I enjoy this very much especially on sunny days. But I hate running when it rains, it's cold or windy. I simply don't enjoy running at all under these circumstances and this is why I choose the treadmills instead. For me it's a treadmill (not dreadmill) because it helps me do something I want (which is run) whenever I want. It's like my plan B and I'm very happy with it.
I ran on awful treadmills (which I can say dreadmills would have been a better named) but I ran also on professional treadmills which honestly, are wonderful to work with. Now for me it's also a matter of testing something new. I work in the software business so maybe it's my nature to be interested in new technologies. Maybe I just combine 2 passions in one. But I sustain treadmills (professional running machines, not cheap versions that you can find for few dollars) are very helpful for a runner, either it's bad weather reason, or you don't have time to go outside for a run, or you are waiting for a call and need to stay in home and so many other scenarios.”
We just got new treadmills at my gym, and I hope to eventually match up my experience with some of those machines mentioned on the site. You might wish to do the same, especially if you live where harsh winters make a treadmill look mighty attractive and motivation starts to wane.