Who Is Killing the Raccoons?
This morning made four.
Heading to the gym at daybreak, I spotted the fourth very big and very dead raccoon in the very same place as three others, give or take a few yards. These casualties of cars, coyotes or some other collision are all just around the corner from our house, on the main throughfare through our housing development. The carcasses are removed by the time schoolchildren head up the street, but by whom I do not know.
I'm not sure how often you've encountered a raccoon, but these critters are very big (21 to 60 pounds) and often rabid. I've seen maybe three my entire time here, all while running in the dark. They like to hide in storm drains until you pass, though wild ones can be aggressive. And now I come upon four of them, all stone cold dead, in one week and in one place.
Even more disconcerting: What are my neighbors doing with the road kill?!
Heading to the gym at daybreak, I spotted the fourth very big and very dead raccoon in the very same place as three others, give or take a few yards. These casualties of cars, coyotes or some other collision are all just around the corner from our house, on the main throughfare through our housing development. The carcasses are removed by the time schoolchildren head up the street, but by whom I do not know.
I'm not sure how often you've encountered a raccoon, but these critters are very big (21 to 60 pounds) and often rabid. I've seen maybe three my entire time here, all while running in the dark. They like to hide in storm drains until you pass, though wild ones can be aggressive. And now I come upon four of them, all stone cold dead, in one week and in one place.
Even more disconcerting: What are my neighbors doing with the road kill?!