My Three Runs
By 5 Saturday morning, yet another dense cell was moving over our chilly house and I remember asking for a favor. “Oh Lord, please don’t let it rain on my run.” About two hours later, while in the restroom at the dark-cloud-surrounded Lake Miramar, I heard that familiar woosh sound approach yet again.
This downpour was fortunately short-lived, allowing about a dozen of us, maybe more, to warm up and stretch sans rain and take off on a 9-mile course I created last summer. It was about 30 degrees cooler, and much, much wetter this time around, but the 48-degree temps and sudden sun were ideal, even if the mini-mudslides were not. The orange wedges and my homemade cookies went over well too.
This was the first of a series of three group runs I’m coordinating this month. Next up is one that joins brand-new marathoners-in-training with alumni in Balboa Park. About 50 people in total are expected, which should make things interesting while I "warm up the crowd" and then man the one and only aid station for hours.
The final run on Dec. 22 involves a new course I’ve created, followed by brunch at my house. That there’s a new, huge stain in the ceiling and ruined drywall buckling beneath a wall’s fresh coat of paint – and likely to only worsen until I can find a roofer who isn’t tied up with wildfire victims -- can only mean one thing. This party's gonna go through the roof!
This downpour was fortunately short-lived, allowing about a dozen of us, maybe more, to warm up and stretch sans rain and take off on a 9-mile course I created last summer. It was about 30 degrees cooler, and much, much wetter this time around, but the 48-degree temps and sudden sun were ideal, even if the mini-mudslides were not. The orange wedges and my homemade cookies went over well too.
This was the first of a series of three group runs I’m coordinating this month. Next up is one that joins brand-new marathoners-in-training with alumni in Balboa Park. About 50 people in total are expected, which should make things interesting while I "warm up the crowd" and then man the one and only aid station for hours.
The final run on Dec. 22 involves a new course I’ve created, followed by brunch at my house. That there’s a new, huge stain in the ceiling and ruined drywall buckling beneath a wall’s fresh coat of paint – and likely to only worsen until I can find a roofer who isn’t tied up with wildfire victims -- can only mean one thing. This party's gonna go through the roof!