Two Down, One to Go
Another successful running event yesterday, the second of three in a row for me. This time I coordinated a marathon program orientation at the Harry West Gym at City College, followed by a run through and around Balboa Park. Around 70 runners total attended, maybe more.
This was a prelude to the San Diego Track Club’s 2008 Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon training program, with an e-mail invitation sent to all program first-timers for our first-ever Newcomers’ Orientation. The response rate was far better than I expected for this time of year. In addition, I asked the fall marathon training group to serve as run leaders and mentors to the newbies that day. Again, the response was impressive and each of them did a terrific job guiding and encouraging the newcomers when the run was underway.
I kept the schedule simple, and I think we were all grateful that my original choice of venues, Balboa Stadium, was closed. The gym across the street was much warmer and the restrooms much nicer. Our coach did an excellent job – explaining some fundamentals of marathon training without giving away too much information normally reserved for opening day on Jan. 5. I talked about road etiquette and then headed out to the central aid station in the park with an injured runner named Lisa, whose help was really appreciated. My friend Stephen, who leads the half marathon program, stayed behind to have water ready for the returnees.
I designed a course that went from 2.4 miles roundtrip to almost 6 for the newcomers; the others could just keep running in loops for however long they needed. Surprisingly, some of the faster newbies stuck with the experienced packs for a lot longer than I’d expected. And, most importantly, everyone was smiling whenever they came through.
The weather was ideal – sunny and 40s to lower 50s by the end. Location, perfect. I brought my camera but it wouldn’t work. Yes, after 7 years of loyalty, my original Nikon Coolpix 800 – a first-generation digital camera given to me by family upon my graduate school graduation – is history. It's time for this one to go. Wordless Wednesdays may be on hiatus for a few weeks until this gets resolved.
This was a prelude to the San Diego Track Club’s 2008 Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon training program, with an e-mail invitation sent to all program first-timers for our first-ever Newcomers’ Orientation. The response rate was far better than I expected for this time of year. In addition, I asked the fall marathon training group to serve as run leaders and mentors to the newbies that day. Again, the response was impressive and each of them did a terrific job guiding and encouraging the newcomers when the run was underway.
I kept the schedule simple, and I think we were all grateful that my original choice of venues, Balboa Stadium, was closed. The gym across the street was much warmer and the restrooms much nicer. Our coach did an excellent job – explaining some fundamentals of marathon training without giving away too much information normally reserved for opening day on Jan. 5. I talked about road etiquette and then headed out to the central aid station in the park with an injured runner named Lisa, whose help was really appreciated. My friend Stephen, who leads the half marathon program, stayed behind to have water ready for the returnees.
I designed a course that went from 2.4 miles roundtrip to almost 6 for the newcomers; the others could just keep running in loops for however long they needed. Surprisingly, some of the faster newbies stuck with the experienced packs for a lot longer than I’d expected. And, most importantly, everyone was smiling whenever they came through.
The weather was ideal – sunny and 40s to lower 50s by the end. Location, perfect. I brought my camera but it wouldn’t work. Yes, after 7 years of loyalty, my original Nikon Coolpix 800 – a first-generation digital camera given to me by family upon my graduate school graduation – is history. It's time for this one to go. Wordless Wednesdays may be on hiatus for a few weeks until this gets resolved.