My Christmas Card Lane Run


This morning we debuted my seasonally appropriate 5- to 8+-mile course through Rancho Penasquitos, which is highlighted by rolling hills, soaring views, a little freeway madness and a spirited romp through a storied neighborhood of handmade holiday “cards” displayed on almost every front yard, block upon block.

The run began and ended at a greenway at the base of my street and traveled through several neighborhoods, including Christmas Card Lane. We even had wintry weather to accompany us – it was in the mid-30s, about 10 degrees cooler than usual for mornings here now (the drink canisters collected frost!). But the sun was out and soon warmed both us and our surroundings to a balmy 45. Have I mentioned that we’ve had perfect weather for all three of my runs, despite it being a pretty wet month?

I have to say, I was impressed with the turnout, given this is probably one of the busiest weekends for people, between traveling and entertaining and last-minute shopping – and the fact I tend to design, ahem, tough courses. What can I say; I’ve yet to meet a hill I didn’t love. In addition to Christmas Card Lane, which we hit smack dab in the middle of the 5-miler, there’s a great, wide, rolling bike path along the 56 freeway that seemed to be a hit with folks. Incorporating the path, which extends almost to the beach, allowed those who needed to go longer than 8 miles to do so. And for the last mile, all runners are rewarded with a terrific vista of neighboring Mira Mesa -- and a candy cane we used for tracking runners as they spread out.

A special thanks to my “elves” at the aid stations – Louise, daughters Elise and Alex, Cindy and Randy. And to my husband Gilbert for staying behind to make sure brunch went off without a hitch. Thanks also to everyone who brought stuff for our potluck breakfast. I think we’ll be eating bagels and muffins and chocolate milk for months!

Here are some photos from the day (Click on the picture to see a larger version).































I'm not sure what's going on in that last photo. I was giving our program leader, Stephen, some gifts of appreciation. These and many more photos will be posted in the San Diego Track Club's Web site photo gallery soon.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

For Those Wary of 'Unsubscribe'

Mahalo Mahalo, Maui