You Wearing Maroon and Orange Today?


Graduation, 1984



Homecoming, 1987



The family at a football game, 1994




Chasing after the next generation of Hokies on the Drillfield, circa 2000. That's my nephew, Austin, whose tutor was "Stack," the resident advisor killed in the dorm shooting.



I may have had fewer degrees of separation than many; still, I've been overwhelmed by the outpouring. It's been much appreciated since I wasn’t prepared for the toll the Virginia Tech tragedy took on me.

Monday, like everyone, I just watched as the bad news got worse. Tuesday, the tears kept coming; I had to stop watching TV. Wednesday, I don’t really remember except I sat down after dinner and next thing I knew it was an hour past my bedtime and the dirty dishes still sat on a darkened countertop. Somehow the remote kept coming back to CNN and MSNBC despite the fingers being given strict orders to stick with TBS sitcoms. When I slept, I slept hard and through alarms. And when I finally woke, the day felt dreamlike as an impenetrable sadness continued its monopoly on my mood. I don’t have a job that tolerates much downtime, which I must have taken liberally to be this far behind. I just don’t know what filled the voids besides some welcomed calls, comments and e-mails from current and old friends.

By Thursday morning, I started to wonder if I might need help sifting through the deck for that Get out of Jail card. But it turns out I just needed some sushi and Survivor.

I get down occasionally, but not like this. Having my waking hours ruled by a brief biochemical alteration, and not free will, is unfamiliar territory. I’m still partially coated in all the dirt that this week’s dredged up, but I suspect more will drop off during Sunday’s half marathon. The weekend rain will help, too. This place could use a good cleanse after the week everyone’s been through.

Today we are all part of Hokie Nation, embracing the grief one last time before we start looking forward again to the world we briefly left. So I salute you with a greeting one Tech alum often gives to another (from a cheer normally reserved only for us old-time Gobblers): Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?