And They All Go Marching Down to the Ground...

In addition to tremblers, Border Patrol checkpoints and corrupt politicians, San Diegans are accustomed to certain insects popping up almost overnight on baseboards, countertops, bathtubs, laundry baskets, furniture and even walls. This is especially true in times of rain and nearby construction. Both unearth armies of ants.
I used to take their presence as an indictment of my housekeeping until my daughters told me the families they babysat had the same problem. That was reinforced one day while visiting a well-heeled friend who apologized in advance and then periodically squirted her granite countertops and sink backsplash with glass cleaner as we talked. (That liquid is preferred to poisonous Raid for obvious reasons: ants can’t stand a Windex shine.)
I mention all this because the recent wet weather has pushed these pests to the surface again, and my fingers are trigger-happy. Not sure if there’s a connection, but since their return, my throat’s been constantly sore and my head’s pounding. Would be great if the ants and the ailments disappeared on their own. However, I’m heading out the door to stock up on glass cleaner and cold tablets. I anticipate heavy use of both in the days ahead.