Why Blogging is Good for the Brain
Most of you probably don't know that as a young coed, I studied economics and have remained fascinated with the discipline since. At present, we're in work stoppage mode due to yet another internal network flare-up, so I've been catching up on my reading and came across this great essay by a Cornell econ professor on how writing assists learning.
The piece focuses on academics, but it made me realize that one of the benefits of transcribing weekly routines and random thoughts so publicly in Web logs and other online forums is self-learning. Sure, you quickly deduce by my ramblings that I'm dedicated yet easily distracted, serious but quirky and able to find humor or deeper meaning in just about any situation. I've learned those things too, but only by culling from my vast library of memories, some just minutes old, and committing them to computer screen. Many of my favorite moments and lasting friendships, I now realize, began while I pushed my pudgy body along some roadside or trail.
And here I thought the biggest benefits from decades of running were toned legs and the license to load up on carbs every Friday night.
The piece focuses on academics, but it made me realize that one of the benefits of transcribing weekly routines and random thoughts so publicly in Web logs and other online forums is self-learning. Sure, you quickly deduce by my ramblings that I'm dedicated yet easily distracted, serious but quirky and able to find humor or deeper meaning in just about any situation. I've learned those things too, but only by culling from my vast library of memories, some just minutes old, and committing them to computer screen. Many of my favorite moments and lasting friendships, I now realize, began while I pushed my pudgy body along some roadside or trail.
And here I thought the biggest benefits from decades of running were toned legs and the license to load up on carbs every Friday night.