What Would You Do If You Couldn't Run?
I’d completely forgotten about a visit from ASICS reps prior to a springtime track practice. An attractive 20something and her camcorder-toting colleague were asking San Diego runners a simple question: “What would you do if you couldn’t run?” She explained it was for an upcoming advertising campaign and they were essentially gathering research from real people. I remember fake-stretching on the Astroturf field inside the Balboa Stadium track and watching the duo work the crowd. I had my oversized Oakleys on, so it was easy enough to spy and eavesdrop without drawing attention. As they inched closer to me, I wondered if I’d be among the chosen. I’d started to pick up that some people were passed over, while some others didn’t pass the initial test. I found this all fascinating, especially since I couldn’t hear any of the answers. When they were two people away, I decided I should be ready with a response.
“Excuse me,” the young woman said in my direction. I looked up from my hamstring stretch. “We’re from ASICS and we’re talking to runners about what they’d do if they couldn’t run….”
For authenticity’s sake, I feigned surprise. “Gosh. Um. Hmm, let me think a minute,” I mused, trying to discretely tuck my Sauconys under my legs by sitting Indian style. “I guess I’d have to spend my life savings on therapy. Yeah, I’d definitely blow a bunch of hard-earned bills working out life’s problems on a coach because I couldn’t be on the roads or trails.”
She perked up. Turned to the cameraman and gave him the cue.
“Great. I like that. Would you mind repeating it?”
I didn’t mind, but my mind apparently did. In a split second, I did a self-appraisal of my appearance -- bug-eyed sunglasses; XL T-shirt that made me look five sizes bigger; sloppy ponytail; unshaven legs -- and wondered what the advertising execs back at headquarters would think of me. I certainly didn’t resemble the elites. Not to mention I suspect they also were filming feet, and mine were most definitely covered in something other than ASICS. I stumbled over my words, trying to remember what I’d just said. I mumbled something about therapy, fully realizing I looked in dire need of it. The camera kept rolling; I kept rambling about the difference between psychologists and psychiatrists and why someone might favor one over the other. It ended about 45 painful seconds later and before I knew it, she was on to the lithe, tanned blonde in the Jogbra a few feet away. Once the workout began, I didn’t give the encounter another thought.
That is until this afternoon. That’s when I stumbled upon ASICS' advertising site highlighting its current magazine campaign. Now, I’m not saying my response was worth inclusion. But consider what did make the cut. [Click on the image if the type’s too small.]

“Excuse me,” the young woman said in my direction. I looked up from my hamstring stretch. “We’re from ASICS and we’re talking to runners about what they’d do if they couldn’t run….”
For authenticity’s sake, I feigned surprise. “Gosh. Um. Hmm, let me think a minute,” I mused, trying to discretely tuck my Sauconys under my legs by sitting Indian style. “I guess I’d have to spend my life savings on therapy. Yeah, I’d definitely blow a bunch of hard-earned bills working out life’s problems on a coach because I couldn’t be on the roads or trails.”
She perked up. Turned to the cameraman and gave him the cue.
“Great. I like that. Would you mind repeating it?”
I didn’t mind, but my mind apparently did. In a split second, I did a self-appraisal of my appearance -- bug-eyed sunglasses; XL T-shirt that made me look five sizes bigger; sloppy ponytail; unshaven legs -- and wondered what the advertising execs back at headquarters would think of me. I certainly didn’t resemble the elites. Not to mention I suspect they also were filming feet, and mine were most definitely covered in something other than ASICS. I stumbled over my words, trying to remember what I’d just said. I mumbled something about therapy, fully realizing I looked in dire need of it. The camera kept rolling; I kept rambling about the difference between psychologists and psychiatrists and why someone might favor one over the other. It ended about 45 painful seconds later and before I knew it, she was on to the lithe, tanned blonde in the Jogbra a few feet away. Once the workout began, I didn’t give the encounter another thought.
That is until this afternoon. That’s when I stumbled upon ASICS' advertising site highlighting its current magazine campaign. Now, I’m not saying my response was worth inclusion. But consider what did make the cut. [Click on the image if the type’s too small.]

