From Sunrise to Sunset
One of the biggest benefits I've discovered from my pared-down marathon training schedule has been fresher legs. Because quality is emphasized over quantity, and so-called "junk miles" do not exist, I'm again looking forward to Tuesdays, Thursdays and weekend long runs. And with the aid of yoga stretches (and, really, just general acceptance of stretching), my recovery days aren't downers either.
Yesterday was a good example. After a day off following a 3-hour run on Sunday, I headed to Miramar Lake to run 800s on the only semi-flat surface in Scripps Ranch (besides the off-limits dirt track at the high school). The course is marked every quarter-mile, so it's perfect to do speedwork. I started just as the sun was peeking over the horizon -- a visual treat.
Then that evening I drove down to Balboa Park to do hill repeats with the track club. I didn't think I'd enjoy running up and down 6th Avenue six to eight times, given the hard workout that morning. But instead I felt invigorated by the climbs and the recovery jogs. I'd forgotten to eat a snack a few hours prior and instead drank Gatorade on the way in. That led to an extra bathroom stop, but I think the carbs and electrolytes kept me going for the full six rounds. And I didn't get lapped by the faster crowd until my 5th climb -- how 'bout that?!
Yesterday was a good example. After a day off following a 3-hour run on Sunday, I headed to Miramar Lake to run 800s on the only semi-flat surface in Scripps Ranch (besides the off-limits dirt track at the high school). The course is marked every quarter-mile, so it's perfect to do speedwork. I started just as the sun was peeking over the horizon -- a visual treat.
Then that evening I drove down to Balboa Park to do hill repeats with the track club. I didn't think I'd enjoy running up and down 6th Avenue six to eight times, given the hard workout that morning. But instead I felt invigorated by the climbs and the recovery jogs. I'd forgotten to eat a snack a few hours prior and instead drank Gatorade on the way in. That led to an extra bathroom stop, but I think the carbs and electrolytes kept me going for the full six rounds. And I didn't get lapped by the faster crowd until my 5th climb -- how 'bout that?!