Coronavirus Diaries: Testing, Testing, 1..2..3..Testing
Yes, things can change on a dime these days, but at this moment on a very hot, sunny Saturday here, it appears people finally turned off the mic on our President. For weeks he’s monopolized nationally broadcast briefings with rally-style rhetoric instead of data-driven updates on our battle with COVID-19. Thursday evening his rifting went from dangerous to deadly after suggesting people ingest disinfectants (and somehow expose their innards to UV lights). Among the first to publicly decry that advice were disinfectant makers who, as anyone who’s ever cleaned up after themselves already knows, have long warned their products are for external use only.
Some states in the Deep South begin soft openings of businesses requiring human contact this weekend. I certainly understand the economic pressures these politicians are under and really, really, really hope employees and customers follow CDC guidelines so any spikes in infection and death rates aren’t severe. Fingers crossed for them and all the other states opening before there’s widespread testing done to tell who is immune and who is at risk.
I have such mixed feelings about a critical component of testing – contact tracing. It makes sense, and even some prominent privacy advocates say this level of digital surveillance may be necessary. But once done, that genie’s never going back in the bottle. And I keep hearing current tests aren’t accurate.
On to better things:
Finally, some breathing room. Earlier in the week the city opened a lot of neighborhood parks and trails to locals to run, walk or bike. No parking allowed, no passive use (i.e., sitting or sunning) and no group exercises. Based on the increase in parking on my street across from the official Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve main entrance, everyone’s getting out again. So long as people keep their faces covered and stay a safe distance, all should be good. Especially since people found in public without face coverings will risk $1,000 fines come next Friday.
Baby love. They also eased family restrictions, and this morning I spent a couple of hours in Encinitas with my grandson and Axel, his fur brother, while their mom and dad went for a run on the newly reopened Coastal Rail Trail. Those two hours were manna from heaven.
Housewives gone even wilder. I once watched a lot of Bravo TV. Not proud to admit that, but I guess I just wasn’t “woke” back then. The other night, I stumbled upon The Real Housewives of New York, which had been my favorite in the franchise. I basically watched 120 minutes of women past their prime get wasted and make total fools of themselves. Except Luann, who looks fantastic now that she’s no longer drinking. As a result of this chance channel encounter, I’m switching from Le Crema to LaCroix for all future Zoom happy hours.
Last visit with our Homeland. Tomorrow is the series finale for one of my all-time favorite shows, which means Monday is the last time my fellow fan-daughter and I will sync Hulu streams at 7:45 p.m. and live text reactions to characters and plot twists as they unfold. This final, eighth season did not disappoint and, as always, was on the nose regarding certain political dynamics. Claire Danes is a phenomenal actress and Carrie such a complex character, especially now that (spoiler alert) she may be a Russian asset. What a way to end a show that relied on the main character’s ability to turn other people!