Coronavirus Diaries: How’s This Gonna Work?
Everyone right now has spring fever. Those who’ve been cloistered by weather and circumstances are champing at the bit to get back out there. Me too. The early morning walks that anchor my days are starting to come up short on results. The homeschooling is grating on my nerves, mainly because it’s dawning on all of us parents that we’re doing the work of numerous paid professionals on top of our own. And, of course, our means of earning a living become more precarious as the economic fallout continues.
Many municipalities continue shuttering or postponing major events where physical distancing is a major concern. Our extended family took the cancellation of Comic-Con particularly hard. And people are breaking out, being egged on to do stupid shit. Meantime, major sports leagues are looking at broadcasting games with no live audiences. Athletes feed off those crowds, so this should be interesting.
This thaw is not going to be the boon some people are anticipating. Restaurants and airlines will have to reduce capacity to allow people to keep their distance. Theme parks and other large venues must do the same. Those that can’t, at least without making a profit margin, will fold. That’s going to likely put even more people out of work. Food supply disruptions will present as soaring prices at a time many people can’t afford even basics. And, don’t get me started on the logistics and lawfulness of contact tracing.
This spring and summer are not going to unfold as we imagined when planning our year. But here are some new things I am looking forward to, especially since many are free.
Fresh air. Even if some experts now think Californians’ car culture is among the reasons the state’s fared so well compared to others, I hope people continue to stay off the roads as much as possible. It’s nice to see the atmosphere cleaner everywhere in the world right now. Mother Earth deserves a break from humanity’s worst environmental tendencies, especially since we’re dealing with a silent killer that attacks respiratory systems.
Summer reading. I’m going to protect blocks of time each weekend going forward to read on our small porch or upstairs walkout-turned-vegetable-garden as if I were on vacation. That means keeping those places clean and green as a resort might and having my favorite foods and beverages on hand. I know some of you without young children already do this, but it’s a small luxury the rest of us haven’t been able to afford. Fortunately for me, I have quite a backlog of books bought in better times to get me through the next phase of this global crisis.
Virtual hiking. I imagine the trails, beaches and parks will reopen before long, if still with restrictions (face mask tan lines, anyone?). And even if I don’t ever plan to hike the entire PCT, it’s nice that someone who did took the time to put together this video so we can all vicariously get a taste.
Houseparty. This app has brought our “distant” family members together for some much needed fun. I’m very good with the trivia and terrible with a certain card game. No one seems to have cornered the drawing competition, either. Is it safe from hacking? Probably not. But right now, I’ll take the risk since I don’t do any financial transactions using my smartphone.
