Coronavirus Diaries: As Good as It Gets



The entire 22 years that my husband served in the military, he never talked about work. Sometimes he couldn’t, and other times he wouldn’t. I respected that decision, even if I didn’t agree with it. And, I compensated by talking all the time about my job.

Now that he must work from home and in the open area of our townhome, it is impossible not to listen to him provide tech support. The big thing I’ve noticed? He’s very good at his job. He is patient, persistent in a nice way, and even quietly upsells features in a completely authentic manner. Frustrated callers quickly match my husband’s quiet, even tone. He constantly talks through what he’s doing, and he doesn’t try to rush through to the next person in the cue. I love that. And him.

I’m glad to see stores here refusing service to people who fail to wear protective face gear. I think one reason the west coast (Seattle suburbs aside) is weathering the pandemic better overall is because states acted earlier (and resolutely) to shelter in place and prevented truly non-essential services from operating. And there’s this intriguing theory about why California is faring so well. A colleague in Massachusetts, among the later states to order everyone to stay in, last week complained about supply shortages at Boston hospitals that put her niece, a nurse, at risk of contracting COVID-19. Then, in the very next sentence, she whined about her pup’s doggy day care closing early and waiting extra hours for charity workers to cart off a basement’s worth of used furniture from her house. And, her 70something husband is still at work selling (not servicing) new cars. How are these essential services? 

I’m getting worked up again, so best to start this week’s gratitude list.

Chain reaction. We’re going old school with “quarantine recipe exchanges” over email to help everyone consume precious perishables in the fridge and free up pantry space while we all are creating more homecooked meals. It made me add a new 90s playlist to my iPhone to cook to.

The kids are alright. With everyone now expected to work from home, it is more common (and often comical) for children to crash a conference call. I used to worry I wouldn’t be seen as professional if our little guy babbled in the background or the dog went bonkers right after I came off mute. No more. 

Dark clouds hanging over us. We in Southern California rarely get rain, let alone five days of it in a row. During that time, it felt cozier and less claustrophobic at home. Everyone enjoyed the change in weather except Pip, who is so sick and tired of peeing and pooping in downpours that she now refuses to go out at the sight of wet pavement. 

Pumping like it’s 1999. I haven’t been driving much so I haven’t been to a gas station in a month. While out helping the Easter Bunny prepare for Sunday, I stopped to fill up the tank and saw gas was down to $2.51 a gallon! I know in some places, that’s still high, but not here where prices had “fallen” just below $4.00/gal before the world collapsed into itself.

This Easter we went Korean.Tried three times to order our usual Honey Baked Ham online after the smaller hams were sold out at two local supermarkets and it’s not like we can bring leftovers to friends and family. I took it as a sign we needed to mix it up for Easter dinner. We ordered from one of our favorite Korean chicken restaurants and didn’t regret a single bite. Please, those of us who can, keep ordering takeout or delivery once or twice weekly to help our neighbors. 

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?