Summer Slowdown
It’s not your imagination that I’m not as chatty as I used to
be – on this blog, your blog and email.
Two things happened.
My laptop that holds my RSS feeds is on its last breath. The
battery died three years ago, and I never replaced it. Instead, I relied
exclusively on electricity to keep it going. Then it started to send out small distress
signals culminating in a keyboard FAIL. First the n and then k keys no longer work, which makes it difficult to blog or comment when you can’t use every letter in the
alphabet.
Then our IT policy changed at work and I no longer do anything personal using company equipment – even on my lunch break. This means I can’t access my personal e-mail account, nor read or respond to running blogs.
It took a week to get used to the new system, but then a
funny thing happened. I became incredibly productive. Without the distractions,
I could focus for longer stretches on tasks at hand. I always thought I carefully managed my days,
but I now realize I spent more time encouraging online transactions than I
probably should. Turns out when you only
“do e-mail” in the early mornings and evenings, you don’t have to answer 100
messages. Your reticence reduces the number naturally.
And that leaves more time for other things, like actually running rather than just writing about it. I’ve been doing a lot more of that lately, and with some new friends too.
So if you don’t hear from me as much, it’s not you. It’s me
and it’s only for now. And just because you don’t “hear” from me doesn’t mean I’m
not keeping up with your online journals.
Just not as often until I replace my aging laptop. Sure hope that’s okay … or as my laptop would now
say o_ay.
Two things happened.
Then our IT policy changed at work and I no longer do anything personal using company equipment – even on my lunch break. This means I can’t access my personal e-mail account, nor read or respond to running blogs.
And that leaves more time for other things, like actually running rather than just writing about it. I’ve been doing a lot more of that lately, and with some new friends too.