With Summer, There's the Rub

The past week we've gotten a taste of what you who live outside southern California have been experiencing for months now: hot and humid running conditions. It's been a while since I've been soaked in sweat within minutes of launching into a run or had difficulty breathing in the ultra moist air.

It's also been awhile since I've stepped into the shower post-run and winced in pain from the salt residue running into raw wounds created by friction between my body and clothing. Then I cringe when shampoo and body soap spills onto those sore spots, followed by gingerly drying certain areas and applying a little A&D ointment to jump-start the healing process.

Chafing is common among athletes and particularly runners because of the rapid, repetitive motion over a sustained period. The risk of chafing skin raw increases with distance and is most prevalent in summer or running in rain. But we runners suffer year-round if the conditions are right.

What are those conditions?

Cotton clothing. Synthetic fibers wick moisture away and move differently across the body than natural fibers. Cotton is still king for T-shirts and singlets that aren't made of fake materials, and that includes underwear. Cotton bras and undies are terrific chafe-producers.

Long runs. "Long" doesn't have to be all that much distance on soupy summer nights, but the longer your sweaty body rubs up against loose clothing, the greater the chances of chafing.

Unguarded body parts. Running in shoes without socks or socks that do not completely cover shoes can rub the wrong way. So can ill-fitting undergarments, especially bras. Men are prone to bloody nipples if they don't protect them prior to a long run with Band-aids or special "nip guards." I'm sure women who wear flimsy bras also can suffer from this, though the majority chafe on the underside or around the bra straps. Also don't forget large moles. I had three on my back that left my shirt soaked in blood by the end of one rainy marathon.

Unprotected skin. Back before Bodyglide, everyone lubed up before a big race with Vaseline. I recall one friend of a friend who grabbed a few fingers full of petroleum jelly and proceeded to cover his youknowwhats in front of everyone. I think Bodyglide (and other lesser known products) works better but it must be applied while the skin is still dry to work well. Some people use deodorant, but I would assume it is unscented because otherwise the perfumes are going to sting.

Loose clothing. I used to chafe on the underside of my upper arms because of loose shirts that kept coming into contact with my arms as I swung them back and forth, much like a saw. I held those chafe marks for months before I figured out I just needed tighter tops. The same with those who chafe on the upper thighs. It may mean you wear biker shorts beheath your shorts or loose pants.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?