Smart Mom
I was in the final stretch of my 5-mile run up and around Lake Miramar when a big group of women in pink came into view. The leader would periodically stop and mark the course and when I came up to the markings I was amazed at how big yet perfectly outlined the flour arrows were.
So I caught up to the group and saw that the leader was using a water bottle filled with flour. Genius, I thought. Why hadn't I thought to ever do this when my former track club members ran this course? Especially after people failed to read their maps, course cards and even street signs?
The leader soon caught up to me on the final stretch at the lake and as she passed, I asked about her group. It was Moms in Motion and she invited me to join them. Then she blew by me.
What she didn't realize was that we'd met before. In fact, we'd run together and even carpooled for a few months. I was then the fast one in the group. But on one particulary bad morning, she was among my saviors.
I caught up with her at the end of my run and her turnaround point and reintroduced myself. We spent a few minutes catching up. I asked about the water bottle marking technique and she said she got the idea from a running program director who took his group on trails. She again invited me to join Moms in Motion, though I told her that with grown children, I no longer feel like that kind of Mom. Thinking back on when we used to run together, I no longer feel like that kind of runner either.
So I caught up to the group and saw that the leader was using a water bottle filled with flour. Genius, I thought. Why hadn't I thought to ever do this when my former track club members ran this course? Especially after people failed to read their maps, course cards and even street signs?
The leader soon caught up to me on the final stretch at the lake and as she passed, I asked about her group. It was Moms in Motion and she invited me to join them. Then she blew by me.
What she didn't realize was that we'd met before. In fact, we'd run together and even carpooled for a few months. I was then the fast one in the group. But on one particulary bad morning, she was among my saviors.
I caught up with her at the end of my run and her turnaround point and reintroduced myself. We spent a few minutes catching up. I asked about the water bottle marking technique and she said she got the idea from a running program director who took his group on trails. She again invited me to join Moms in Motion, though I told her that with grown children, I no longer feel like that kind of Mom. Thinking back on when we used to run together, I no longer feel like that kind of runner either.