Mean Streets

I couldn't join my Saturday running group this morning in Carlsbad, so before the day got away from me I headed out for a quick 4-miler in my somewhat sleepy suburb.

I was moving along, running against traffic like you're supposed. No iPod. No distractions. The speed limit is 45, but people go 60 at that hour, and since I was heading into a curve, I stayed on the sidewalk. I saw a big guy in a ball cap walking ahead of me. He looked like a regular on the route.

He was maybe 20 feet away when he turned to jaywalk across four lanes of a deserted road. As he did, he flipped me the bird.

I was shocked. I'd done nothing. Said nothing. I wasn't even that close to him and planned to run into the bike lane to move around him when the time came.

Just to be sure, I looked back when he was across the street and he again gave me the finger.

I'm still not sure what to make of it.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?