Taking It All In
I could have slept in and stayed in my pajamas all day as a reward for surviving March and opening April with less than 6 hours’ sleep in two days. Instead, I was pulling on my hiking shoes and driving out to Escondido to finally take in Daley Ranch.
I’ve wanted to visit this city-owned preserve a mile from El Norte Parkway for years. I was particularly interested in seeing how it rates for trail running since I know of several local runners who rave about it. So when our “Happy Hour” group elected for something different -- a hike in Daley Ranch, followed by a stop at Stone Brewery -- I was in no matter how much my feet hurt, head throbbed and stomach ached.
This was Victoria’s suggestion – and backyard – so she led us on a figure-eight route that had us initially climbing for some terrific views before we finally hit the Ranch House (under renovation) and set up our little picnic. She also pointed to a more level path popular with runners.
Along the way we carried on as we normally would after work hours in a wine bar or trendy restaurant. I got to relate details of a major fundraiser last night that I helped organize. Everyone left the event in good moods and a little lighter in the wallet. Our vendors were amazing and really deserve a lot of credit I received as the de facto organizer. I was never so proud of my co-workers and my friends who volunteered, including Melissa, who is standing next to Victoria in the opening shot. Katie arrived a few minutes later.
We never did make it to the brewery. That's OK with me. I was still riding high on my recent success (and caffeine!) and delighted to mark Daley Ranch off my must-hike checklist. Now it's on my must-return list.