Old-Timers Rule


I love this picture.

I took it last night when my grandmother didn't know I still was holding my camera. We were at a movie premiere and I asked her to "dress for La Jolla," so she pulled on one of my old sweaters and declared herself and her white capris in compliance. She also didn't eat much dinner but later devoured two full plates of free cheese, quiche and fruit tarts like no one ever feeds her.

The movie was a documentary called "Over 90 and Loving It" about 12 incredible senior citizens who are holding up extremely well and doing things that defy their ages, which range from 90 to 105. It's airing around this time on PBS television stations nationwide. Four from the film were on hand for an audience Q&A, including a 96-year-old record-holder in just about every track & field event. He was a hoot. One woman, who obtained her master's degree at 98, couldn't make it because she's now an associate professor and didn't want to miss class.

Grandma seemed to enjoy the film and laughed and smiled with the rest of us. She got a little competitive -- "How old is she? 95? Oh hell, that's all?" -- and then she got a little fidgety and made us leave early. I wish I had my camera at the ready when we walked out and saw a sea of walkers. There must have been at least 50 of them lined up like a triathlon transition area.

My big takeaway from the evening was that age truly is just a number and that if you fixate on health issues, you'll make them just that. The other takeaway was Grandma, who forgot to whisper her inappropriate comments.

I've broadcast my own share of inappropriate comments about Grandma on this blog. God willing, I'll have even more to dispense in the years to come.



Popular posts from this blog

How 'Bout Them Hokies?!

I Leave You With This

A Local’s Guide to San Diego’s Sunset Cliffs