My Favorite Things of 2010
I've already discussed my favorite races from this year. Here are the books, movies, plays, songs, and an essay/blog post that stood out for me. And unlike Oprah, no one paid me to endorse them. Which is why none of you will be going home with a copy, let alone a new car.
Favorite Book: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
A really impactful work of non-fiction that deftly weaves together many important issues in what at first blush appears to be a medical science story. But it's much, much more.
Favorite Movie: Inside Job
I love documentaries and this one really left an impression on me. It visually and powerfully shows what led to the global financial crisis of 2007 and why we still are suffering so. Warning: You'll leave even more depressed than when the movie began once you realize we don't have the type of representative government outlined in our high school history books.
Honorable Mention: 127 Hours
I love Danny Boyle movies, including this one. It also changed my running habits.
Favorite Play: Ruined
Performed at the La Jolla Playhouse, this Pulitzer Prize winner is not a production you'll forget, not for a very long time. It's about the treatment of women in the warring Democratic Republic of the Congo. Heavy duty stuff, for sure. But we can't keep turning a blind eye to what is happening and, importantly, why it's happening.
Favorite TV Show: The Walking Dead
This surprised me since I don't like gore but I guess well-made, well-acted zombie gore is different.
Favorite Running Song You've Likely Heard: "Magic" by B.o.B.
Who doesn't like this song? It's got a good beat you can really move to. And it makes me think of the brighter parts of this summer.
Favorite Running Song You've Likely Not Heard: "Evolve" by The Non-Commissioned Officers
Great for tempo runs when you need to keep the pace fast 'n' steady.
Favorite Post: "Regrets of the Dying" from Inspiration and Chai
It has nothing to do with running and everything to do with living. I can't remember how I stumbled on this site and specifically this post, but I urge everyone to read it and then heed it.
Favorite Book: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
A really impactful work of non-fiction that deftly weaves together many important issues in what at first blush appears to be a medical science story. But it's much, much more.
Favorite Movie: Inside Job
I love documentaries and this one really left an impression on me. It visually and powerfully shows what led to the global financial crisis of 2007 and why we still are suffering so. Warning: You'll leave even more depressed than when the movie began once you realize we don't have the type of representative government outlined in our high school history books.
Honorable Mention: 127 Hours
I love Danny Boyle movies, including this one. It also changed my running habits.
Favorite Play: Ruined
Performed at the La Jolla Playhouse, this Pulitzer Prize winner is not a production you'll forget, not for a very long time. It's about the treatment of women in the warring Democratic Republic of the Congo. Heavy duty stuff, for sure. But we can't keep turning a blind eye to what is happening and, importantly, why it's happening.
Favorite TV Show: The Walking Dead
This surprised me since I don't like gore but I guess well-made, well-acted zombie gore is different.
Favorite Running Song You've Likely Heard: "Magic" by B.o.B.
Who doesn't like this song? It's got a good beat you can really move to. And it makes me think of the brighter parts of this summer.
Favorite Running Song You've Likely Not Heard: "Evolve" by The Non-Commissioned Officers
Great for tempo runs when you need to keep the pace fast 'n' steady.
Favorite Post: "Regrets of the Dying" from Inspiration and Chai
It has nothing to do with running and everything to do with living. I can't remember how I stumbled on this site and specifically this post, but I urge everyone to read it and then heed it.