Do Not Leave Your Valuables in the Car

This time of year we see an upswing in crimes of opportunity. I just posted the following on DailyMile and thought I'd repost it here because we all need to be careful out there.

Yesterday at a track club potluck brunch, I learned that thieves have been deftly breaking into cars parked at Lake Miramar in San Diego by first popping the car's hood, disabling the horn and then somehow opening the doors and very, very carefully lifting credit cards from wallets. They do not disturb anything else so that no one suspects anything (unless they try to use their horn). The victims I know had no idea anything was gone until their credit card companies began calling to ask if they bought $5,000 worth of merchandise at Target -- I know, I thought the same thing: who can spend that much at Target?!

Be careful when you park your car to go for a run or ride, especially if it's a long one. Always assume you are under surveillance, and try not to leave anything valuable to someone else behind or make sure it's locked up securely.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?