Nutrition and Normal Weight Obesity

Last night I was reading a book about a popular plus-size model, which includes a chapter on eating disorders and fat bias and several times quotes a UC Davis nutritionist. My daughter had mentioned earlier that she was excited about her nutrition class, a favorite on campus. So I asked her the name of the professor.

It wasn't the same woman, but it turns out my daughter's learning sports nutrition from none other than Liz Applegate, who should be a familiar name to anyone who's been an avid or even casual reader of Runner's World. She's had a column in the magazine for many, many years.

Meantime, I'm learning about what the Mayo Clinic calls "normal weight obesity." It's a term for thin people who are still "fat." Conversely, there are plenty of heavier people who actually are healthier because they don't carry as much fat. It also includes both scientific and anectodal evidence that just because you lose weight doesn't mean you are any "leaner."

The Scales Can Lie: Hidden Fat (Wall Street Journal)

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?