Fall Mornings and Full Moons
Since recovering from a sick spell, my morning runs have been wonderful. The air's been crisp, with the thermostat hovering within the ideal 45- to 51-degree range. Some mornings are washed clean by a brief rain spell (our first since April); others start with the wind tossing me a few falling leaves. I head east as often as possible to witness heavenly sunrises with the moon at my back.
I'm midway through an eight-week training schedule, about the point I should be tired of being told what to do. Instead I still rise before the alarm and hurry into my long sleeve shirt and shorts, sipping a strong cup of tea and mentally plotting out my course. I'm especially excited when it's a full moon because it adds an almost spiritual dimension to the moment.
I had to come up with a substitute for track workouts and created the perfect circuit that has me running around a big block. I move toothpicks between my shorts pockets to help keep track of my 400 repeats. (Pennies would be too loud.) I've managed to finish all laps within 5 seconds of each other, so I must be doing something right. I actually pay attention to form, though who notices in the dark.
Actually, I do. And I notice whose sprinklers need to be repaired. Who left their car windows rolled down. And who is still out there with me, now that most folks want to stay warm indoors and in bed. They've no idea how much they are missing.
I'm midway through an eight-week training schedule, about the point I should be tired of being told what to do. Instead I still rise before the alarm and hurry into my long sleeve shirt and shorts, sipping a strong cup of tea and mentally plotting out my course. I'm especially excited when it's a full moon because it adds an almost spiritual dimension to the moment.
I had to come up with a substitute for track workouts and created the perfect circuit that has me running around a big block. I move toothpicks between my shorts pockets to help keep track of my 400 repeats. (Pennies would be too loud.) I've managed to finish all laps within 5 seconds of each other, so I must be doing something right. I actually pay attention to form, though who notices in the dark.
Actually, I do. And I notice whose sprinklers need to be repaired. Who left their car windows rolled down. And who is still out there with me, now that most folks want to stay warm indoors and in bed. They've no idea how much they are missing.