Surf and Turf, San Diego Style


Part of my reintroduction to “real running” has been establishing a training schedule. But putting brackets around previously endless excuses is proving harder than expected. I blame August. Here I am just two weeks into my Reformation and already I’m missing scheduled runs because of late evenings with friends and misguided menus and “Olympics fatigue.”

Take yesterday. I planned to run 45 minutes before work, only I overslept due to the evening concert under the stars in La Jolla. I forgot to eat my two-egg breakfast, so I snuck leftover cheese and rolls at the office, only to discover a surprise breakfast for a departing coworker 30 minutes later. I couldn’t deny myself a big ol’ bagel but at least I didn’t load it up with cream cheese.

Then I went on a lunchtime walk with a coworker, passing another colleague out for his usual afternoon run. I felt not the least amount of guilt until I returned feeling famished and decided to eat a Cobb salad. Everyone else waited for a late lunch at the Terrace Clubhouse at the Del Mar racetrack, where I ordered myself tortilla chips and guacamole to compliment the bottle of chardonnay circulating among the table. Deciding after two glasses that the pairing was a bit off, I switched to double-dose margaritas and thanked my lucky stars I wasn’t driving.

You see where this is going, don’t you? Instead of resting up for this morning’s early run, I was watching the Olympics Men’s 20k Racewalk Championship at midnight and wishing my sour stomach away, knowing another early morning run would not happen. Speaking of the Olympics, is anyone else a bit baffled and disappointed with NBC’s primetime coverage? Is it me, or did some corporate conspiracy force us to endure endless beach volleyball when we’re widest awake and turn us into next-day zombies with eyelids propped up with toothpicks because the glamour events – swimming, gymnastics, some of the big track and field competitions – are relegated to the latest hours of coverage? This is not leaving me much hope that today’s (tonight’s? tomorrow’s?) women’s marathon will be shown in its entirety.

Here are a few more pictures from yesterday's races.


The horses make their way to the track.


We watched one marriage proposal that day on the Jumbotron.


We had a raging debate during the 6th race about whether the announcer had trademarked his signature "And they're off!" start. I finally called my mother, a horse race expert, to settle it.


"And their off!"

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?