So That's What It Feels Like
Judging by the stiffness I woke to yesterday, and the way such soreness receded during my recovery run, I'd say I've found the root of the shaky limbs on Saturday: body shock.
Races, even when you aren't really racing, are a great reality check. Sometimes you're surprised at how well you do, which bolsters the training you've already done. And sometimes you realize you really have been mailing it in for so long your body doesn't register a hard effort right away. This is reinforced when you look at the results and discover the women you used to run with are now placing in their age groups.
I gave myself a full year to get healthy. I'm going to give myself another four months to get real. And, of course, get better.
Races, even when you aren't really racing, are a great reality check. Sometimes you're surprised at how well you do, which bolsters the training you've already done. And sometimes you realize you really have been mailing it in for so long your body doesn't register a hard effort right away. This is reinforced when you look at the results and discover the women you used to run with are now placing in their age groups.
I gave myself a full year to get healthy. I'm going to give myself another four months to get real. And, of course, get better.