The 35,000-Foot View

A travelogue on my latest Boston trip will be coming soon. I need to get my pictures developed and my brain back in order. For now, know that they were three action- and alcohol-packed days, with the cornerstone being a traditional Scottish wedding where the women weren’t the only ones worried about those hurricane-induced, gale-force winds.

At both ends were long plane rides, the kind where somehow you do very little besides read, watch and nap and still find yourself exhausted by the time you get to baggage claim. On the way up, we shared a plane with a lot of American Red Cross volunteers going home after working the wildfire shelters. One retired gentleman sitting next to me explained how everyone flies around the country on short notice as part of a mobile disaster force. The more he talked, the more I started to think I may have found my “career” once we retire. I’m at the midpoint in my work life, and I anticipate needing something to do once I’m done working for The Man. I thought of joining the Peace Corps, but I might feel, let alone actually be, too old. Then there’s Catholic Social Ministries, and now I have another option.

On the return trip we flew home via JFK in New York and shared the cabin with many marathoners. Most were obvious because they were either wearing the official T-shirt, their medal or both a day later. I shared a row with one medal-wearing finisher (who did it in about 3:58). He seemed to have enjoyed the race, and he seemed to be enjoying the codeine someone gave him for the flight. He reported it was cold at the start but perfect once everyone got going; that the bridges didn’t seem as long as everyone suggested; that First Avenue was his favorite part of the course (like most folks); that he didn’t wear a watch but did wear one of the banned iPods; and that he’s glad he’s almost home because getting up and down the subway stairs just about killed him.

When I ran New York, I stayed with my friend Holly, who, like me, is coming back from a serious injury. I’m now up to 30 minutes pain-free; she’s closing in on 15. Our friend Janis qualified for Boston this past weekend, so we’re thinking she might want to run ahead of us if and when we start out together on a future race. If you wonder who I’m talking about, she’s featured on the cover and inside pages of the Eddie Bauer holiday catalog.

Popular posts from this blog

I Leave You With This

What's Your Slavery Footprint?

Do Mom and Dad Make You Run?